Toddler at risk of sight damage after falling in dog dirt
19 August 2010
A two year old girl who fell in dog dirt in a children's playground may have lost partial sight in one of her eyes.
Amiee Langdon was admitted to hospital after wiping the excrement in her eye.
She was treated for toxocariasis, a potentially lethal disease carried in dog faeces which can cause blindness.
Her mother said doctors would reveal the extent of the damage on Friday.
Amiee's mother Suzanne said: "The doctor is going to do more tests on her eye, but we're pretty sure she's going to have more lasting damage in terms of sight.”
Hospital tests confirmed toxocariasis, which resulted in Amiee contracting optical lobe cellulosis, which can lead to blindness and death if not treated within 72 hours.
Ms Langdon said: "Dog owners are responsible for their dog's mess and they've got to realise that it can be devastating and wreck lives."
Her mother said that councils needed to get tougher on enforcing statutory fines for owners who did not clean up after their dogs.
Jill Partington from Keep Britain Tidy said: ‘It is a shame it takes incidents like this to raise awareness of the dangers of dog fouling in our communities.
“Not only is dog mess unsightly it is dangerous and those who are exposed to it can contract Toxocariasis that can affect a person’s sight.
“Dog owners need to act responsibly and clean up after their pets. Mess should be picked up straight away, sealed in a bag and placed in any bin.
“Dog fouling on our streets is one of the public’s highest priorities; with the help of dog owners the problem can be made a thing of the past.”
Amiee, who has been discharged from hospital, is continuing to be treated with three antibiotics and an eye ointment.
Find out more about what you can do about the issue of dog fouling in your local area.